Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park...WOW

We bit the bullet today and got an all day pass to take the tram up to the top of Iron Mountain. We were reading some 'propaganda' about the place and thought we would give it a try. What caught our attention was a 70 minute cave tour and then there is an Alpine Coaster that we thought we would try.

At the entry gate the young lady who sold the tickets said, since you have the all day pass be sure to ride the Alpine Coaster at least THREE
times. I was actually planning on four myself, but I took it as a good omen. I have a little trouble with heights and was really 'out of my comfort zone' as we took the tram up the hill, above the treetops. But somehow, this time it didn't bother me at all.
Here is Chuck as we got to the top of the mountain and before we actually did anything there


We did the cave tour which was pretty good, cool inside of course, but they took us outside on a rock balcony overlooking the canyon which was pretty exciting,


then we went in again and saw relatively recent cave rooms that were well worth the walk back up from the cave floor to the exit.

After that we went and tried the Alpine Coaster. Again I was a little intimidated, because I sometimes have trouble with going around curves and up and down really fast. While I was sitting in the car, waiting to go, the young lady explained that to go you simply push the handle forward; to slow pull it back...it is very responsive. Well, indeed it was. After the first trip..I begged Chuck to do it again and this time to share the car..I just thought it would be so much fun doing it together. And Hey...check these shots I got while holding the camera in the right hand and holding on for dear life with the left!! Wheeeeee...what fun!!

So, of course, we did the ride one more time in separate cars because now we really have the hang of this thing and can go like crazy. Well, I did anyway.

We finally were able to leave the coaster and went for some truly good dogs and brats at the Lookout Grille, and of course, by he time I finished eating I said you know, we should do that one more time before we leave. So of course we did, because at this point we were both so addicted I was worried that we may not be able to leave the park.








But we did after the fourth ride, we went down to the canyon to ride the bike trail again for 14 miles and now we are getting ready to go to a little Bavarian Restaurant, owned by a Hungarian. I'm on the lookout for some goulash.
Stay tuned.

No comments: