Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Cranberry Nut Bread

The weather was cold and damp today...perfect for some baking. So I decided to use up some of my frozen cranberries and bake a cranberry walnut loaf. I don't have my cookbooks here with me so I searched out a good recipe online, wrote it down and shopped for the few missing ingredients. Putting it together was pretty simple and it turned out delicious.




After taking all that time to write the thing out, I was surprised to find the exact same recipe on the package of frozen cranberries...it really is good, no changes needed.
Here's the recipe:

CLASSIC CRANBERRY NUT BREAD
INGREDIENTS:

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon grated orange peel
2 tablespoons shortening
1 egg, well beaten
1 1/2 cups Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped nuts

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.

Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a medium mixing bowl. Stir in orange juice, orange peel, shortening and egg. Mix until well blended. Stir in cranberries and nuts. Spread evenly in loaf pan.

Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Wrap and store overnight. Makes 1 loaf (16 slices).

PER SERVING (1 slice): Cal. 211, Fat Cal. 54, Protein 3grams, Carb. 37grams, Fat 6grams, Chol. 18mg., Sodium 313mg.

Copyright ©2002-2006 Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc. and Ocean Spray International, Inc. All rights reserved.


Okay, I did make one change. Instead of greasing the baking pan I lined it with parchment paper. No mess at all to clean up!

ok...ok... a few more changes only 3/4 cup of sugar, no baking soda and I used smart balance instead of shortening.

No comments: