Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Crunchy Orange Roughy

So, I stumbled upon this really great recipe for crunchy fish that is not all greasy and really bad for you; I tucked it away in my little pile of "I'll get to these one of these days". Yesterday I was in Trader Joes, this is a great place to get frozen fish because you can SEE what you are getting...all the packages are clear plastic and all fillets are visible. (I would NEVER buy frozen fish when I lived in New Jersey but here in the Midwest fresh fish is significantly more expensive than the best steaks...so, now I buy frozen)I found some good sized fillets of Orange Roughy and thought I would try that new recipe.

It starts with four slices of bread run through the processor (I used a blender) to get pea sized chunks or smaller, put them in a bowl and stir in about 2 tablespoons of butter/margarine (I have been using Smart Balance lately; tastes great and is 50% healthy for you ;-) )I also added some of my favorite herbs Oregano, Basil and Garlic Powder. Then spread them on a baking sheet and pop into a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or so. I guess I should add that since I had made bread over the weekend, I used that and the crumbs were fantastic!

Once the crumbs are ready, it is time to prepare the batter for the fish. I did not get the exact measurements for this, but here's what I used and it was very, very good:
2 eggs
2-3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
2 tablespoons of horseradish
various spices --paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper
whisk all this together and then add about a tablespoon or more of flour until you have a nice pancake-like batter.

OK, you are now ready to prepare the best fish EVER!

Take the 1 inch thick fillets, blot them dry with a paper towel...this is important to keep the results crunchy but moist.

Then dust in flour and shake off the excess, dip into the batter and then place on the crumbs and pile them on top with your hands. When the fish is coated place the fillets in an oiled ridged oven roasting pan and into a 425 degree oven for 10 to 20 minutes. The internal temperature should reach 140 degrees.

I apologize for the mediocre picture...I had already started eating it before I knew how good it was so the picture is nowhere as good looking as the whole plated fillet.

1 comment:

Goldenrod said...

I laughed out loud when you wrote that you had begun eating it before you realized you hadn't taken a picture. Typical you, Whale! This actually sounds like something I might try (but don't hold your breath). Good one!