Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher

While we were out riding in Fayetteville earlier this month, I happened to see a remarkable looking bird. I stopped the bike and just watched in amazement. This rather large bird ( about like a skinny robin ) had a long split tail and was able to hover like a hummingbird; it was very colorful and had a goldish tan under its wings. It flew from the top of things...small trees, mail boxes and light poles.
We saw it again in another area some 4 or 5 miles away 2 days later. I became obsessed with it.

Well I finally looked it up! It was a Scissor-Tailed Flycatcher




I hope this doesn't mean that I will now become an ardent birdwatcher...they are so funky!

3 comments:

Goldenrod said...

Who are 'they', the funky birds or the funky watchers? :)

GORgeous shot of the bird, BTW. Did you take it?


(You gotta be careful with those obsessions, Whale. Next thing you know, you'll be on safari looking for the very elusive foo bird!)

whalechaser said...

Goldie,
They are obviously anyone we want them to be. I think both the birds and the watchers are a bit off...both teasing each other like that!
PSST,,,,the picture was stolen, tell no one.
Whale

Goldenrod said...

Your secret is safe with me, Whale, along with all of your 50,000 other readers. :)