Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pigs, Sheep and More at the Lake County Fair

After our 26 mile ride at the Des Plaines River Trail we went to the Lake County Fair. It was my first visit to a Fair and I was not disappointed. It had way more things than I expected and the food was great. They had a significant number of rides, I would venture to say even more than the local 6 Flags Park, but alas, no roller coaster. Lots and lots of games of chance for stuffed animals and the food stands went on for as far as the eye could see.
There was live music by talented people and the weather could not have been better. We grabbed a quick meal; I got a gyro since I have not had a good one since I left New Jersey
See how clean this place is? How could you go wrong?
The way to know you are getting a fresh gyro is to look at the meat on the rotisserie...if it is large, then it is new and fresh.


and Chuck had a foot long brat (what else?)

After that we went to look at the animals. That is key to a really good fair and there were plenty in each category.
Sheep

Rabbits...I think these two had a 'thing' going on
and...pigs. Lots of pigs. Did you know they are very intelligent creatures? Well they are, and
that reminds me of one of my favorite jokes:

Farmer Jones got out of his car and while heading for his friend's door, noticed a pig with a wooden leg. His curiosity roused, he asked, "Fred, how'd that pig get him a wooden leg?"

"Well, Michael, that's a mighty special pig! A while back a wild boar attacked me while I was walking in the woods. That pig there came a runnin', went after that boar and chased him away. Saved my life!"

"And the boar tore up his leg?"

"No he was fine after that. But a bit later we had that fire. Started in the shed up against the barn. Well, that ole pig started squealin' like he was stuck, woke us up, and 'fore we got out here, the darn thing had herded the other animals out of the barn and saved 'em all!"

"So that's when he hurt his leg, huh, Fred?"

"No, Michael. He was a might winded, though. When my tractor hit a rock and rolled down the hill into the pond I was knocked clean out. When I came to, that pig had dove into the pond and dragged me out 'fore I drownded. Sure did save my life."

"And that was when he hurt his leg?"

"Oh no, he was fine. Cleaned him up, too."

"OK, Fred. So just tell me. How did he get the wooden leg?"

"Well", the farmer tells him, "A pig like that, you don't want to eat all at once!"

No comments: