Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Millennium Trail


We went out this afternoon hoping to get in our usual 10 miles on half of the Millennium Trail that runs through the development area, but when we got to our usual turning around point, I still felt good enough to try the never yet ridden by me section. We came upon these three horses just prior to our usual turning point. Two riders and one just tagging along for the exercise, I guess.


This section is more hilly than the part we normally ride so I was expecting something really challenging...I wasn't disappointed. It was.


But it was so beautiful that I found myself just enjoying the openness and the forest; not looking at what speed I was going or how far we had travelled. We got to the end of the new section and had 10.5 miles. That surprised me since I didn't think I was asking for a 20 mile day. But we had gone off the trail to see an old farm house site and a secluded lake,


so we added a couple of miles that wouldn't be repeated on the way back.

We stayed with the trail for the return and then took the street back to the house instead of the full return trail loop; total miles 17.5. Not bad for a day they predicted strong winds and rain. Didn't have either of these while we rode, just another great day on the trails.

We even saw two sand hill cranes and two swans (along with a gaggle of Canada Geese) but for some reason I was unable to get a clear shot of any of it .

No comments: