Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Saturday, February 20, 2010

La Paz Waterfalls Gardens, Costa Rica

Our last day in Costa Rica was spent on a tour to a coffee plantation, the Poas volcano and the La Paz Waterfalls Gardens this was, by far, one of the top three things we saw/did on our visit. The area was full of lush gardens and of course the waterfalls, but what I enjoyed the most, was the hummingbirds and the frogs.
I guess I should confess, right here and now, that I was a bit disappointed on my two previous trips to Costa Rica. I never saw the frogs. They way they advertise them, you'd think you would be tripping over them! I mean really...in the advertisements they seem to be everywhere. That is not true. They are deep in the jungles and are pretty much visible only during the rainy season (not a time that I would like to visit) So I sort of reconciled myself to the fact that I would probably never see a live one. That is until today at La Paz...

I saw these green guys in a special jungle room of the very well laid out jungles and displays


You must know that I was incredibly disappointed to see that the only frogs there were these pale green ones. They look like blobs of green...well, ok, I won't go any further on that one! But I think you get my drift.

They looked like green blobs, until they decided to get up and move. Then they morphed into the beautiful multi-colored frogs that I have been looking for, for years. Oh...seeing one live and moving just inches away is too fabulous to describe! Take a look at these pics and see if you don't agree..
This little guy was really scared and was clinging to this fellow tourists finger for dear life. I guess I was too close to get a really crisp photo, but you can begin to see the beauty on this little fellow.


He managed to escape to a nearby wall and was heading for a big green leaf where he could become invisible again.






Thanks, little one...I really enjoyed spending some time with you!

No comments: