Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Big Shoals Park, Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park and more

We listened to a morning discussion on Florida folklore given by Merri McKenzie, included in the presentation were objects created by the folks living here for generations

Here is a long leaf pine basket with cover...quite intricate and the top has a little doll woven into it.
Ruby Shaw, a dynamite lady, prepared her specialty: chicken pileau (pronounced chicken perlow) This stuff was absolutely delicious! I have found a 'facsimile' recipe and will try it myself when I get home...I will be happy if I come close to this one!
We hiked with the Elderhostel group today at Big Shoals Park. Total distance was about 1.5 miles each way. Along the hike we came upon a quick and shy Gopher Tortoise (meaning we were not quick enough to get a picture of it before it tunneled itself in its hole).

Along the way we saw many saw palmettos but it was the Shoals that were the prize today. I have never seen deep brown but clean white water.




No comments: