Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Dry River Campground, Crawford Notch, New Hampshire

We headed west from Maine, since we have a week before our next Elderhostel adventure begins. Since we wanted to take the Cog Railroad ride to the top of Mount Washington, New Hampshire, we decided to camp at the state run Dry River Campground located in Crawford Notch, New Hampshire.

We weren't expecting to see much in the way of crowds and we not disappointed. There were very few people there so we enjoyed a very quiet and peaceful evening. We even had a surprise...they had a newly installed laundry facility: 3 washers and 3 dryers. It just so happened that we needed a laundry stop and this was a perfect way to spend the early part of the evening.

I have to share a story about an event that occurred during the laundry process. I got everything into the dryers and was pacing while waiting for them to finish. After about ten minutes of pacing I noticed a dragonfly that seemed to be stuck between the windows on the far end of he the room. If I closed it, I would have squashed the little guy, but with it open I really could not reach it to set it free. I grabbed a pencil that I had been using to solve my sudoku puzzles and coaxed him onto the point. Very carefully I carried him outside and placed him on a pine branch. The poor thing looked dead. But hoped that somehow he might be revived. I checked every five minutes or so...while I continued my pacing. Finally, after ten minutes he was gone, hope he is alive a well!


They also had nice clean, private showers...these charge for every three minutes! I have never seen that particular breakdown before, I suppose it does limit those who like a long, lazy, hot shower...

No comments: