Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Monday, August 13, 2007

Was This a Test?

When I moved here to Arkansas I deliberately decided that I would tend to my lawn. I hadn't done it for two years while I lived in New Jersey, but with twice the size of property and LEVEL, I felt up to the challenge. It would be a challenge I knew since the summers here can be warm. I was only holding down an 8 to 5 job not much else going on and since I was new to the area felt it would be a way to spend some quality time, get some exercise, live within my budget and maybe meet my neighbors.

It is now closing in (that is probably a bit ambitious) on two summers here and I have learned a few things. First, summer starts early here. Like April. This year it was immediately after a week of 15 degree temperatures in early April, a week later, it was an explosion of life. They end later too; like November. I didn't mind it, the temps were in the low 80's so what was there to complain about?

By May '06, the grass was growing so well it had to be cut every three to four days. Must be that vibrant Arkansas sunshine! OK, still no problem, temps only touch on low nineties for portions of the mid-day. Late afternoon was my time of choice to mow so things were still going well.

I thought I did my homework when I took on this job, but I wasn't able to get all the needed information. I subscribed to Consumers Reports so I could select the highest rated lawn equipment. Everything I bought was the "best" according to them and I moved confidently into the 'wonderful world of lawn maintenance.' I started slowly. I thought about : "how hard could it really get?" my answer to that question resulted in my purchasing a red, Troy-Bilt riding mower with grass clipping bagging attachments. The logic was flawless, no matter how hot it gets it is still possible to do a decent job mowing. I knew if I were pushing a mower in really hot weather, August would be a bear. I was right. Besides I reached a point in my life where if something isn't fun, I am not interested in doing it. So for the first few weeks, once the sod started to grow, I rode and mowed and life was pretty good. Bagging wasn't too bad, I did have some trouble with the covers to the bags, every time I tried to remove the netted bags of clippings, the lid would fall on my arm. The bruises were almost healed by the time I had to do it again. I discovered a surveyors stake made a pretty good prop, and kept a few on my window sills to prevent further abuse. Hope my finding them in neighboring properties didn't interfere with any construction decisions.

Then I noticed that I had several 'inside' corners that were not being tended to. I could not get the mower in to the corners, so I would have to get something to fix that problem. I decided that a weed whacker would do, since I was becoming aware that I also needed to 'edge' along the sidewalk, driveway and back patio. More homework and study. I discovered that an electric Ryobi was the best solution.
It took some getting used to but I managed to do a passable job. The edging was a disaster though. I found, no matter how I tried I needed a new spool of whacker stuff every two or three mowings. I was constantly repositioning the green plastic thread, using it a little bit and repositioning again. I hated that thing! But it worked, after a fashion. I made a deal with myself I would only edge every other mowing. I felt better. But my relationship with Mr. Ryobi never improved; he was just uncooperative.

By the time I got to my first August (2006), that is when the temperatures are in the high nineties for the daylight hours and fortunately there is humidity to really accentuate things, I was looking for two things: a real edger and a blower. I was starting to turn my garage into a lawn maintenance shop. I was never one for gadgets, but heat can do funny things to your head. I also decided, since the weed whacker was NOT MY FRIEND, that I should get a push-assisted mower to do all the edges, around trees, the a/c unit and other utility structures that the builder decided to put in unusual places in the yard. Back to Consumers Reports and I bought a good red Craftsman power assist mower and I started thinking life couldn't get much better than this.

Well, at least for two weeks. Then, in mid-August I was looking for anything that would cut down the time required for a complete mowing. I was clocking in at about 1 hour and 45 minutes, for everything, mow, edge, whack, sweep and pack the grass clippings and put away the machines. I even changed my normal approach to the job. I started doing it on the installment plan. The front one day, the back the next, the edges the next and thank you very much that dastardly whacking, could just wait till things got really serious. This worked for two weeks. Then I realized that EVERYDAY I was mowing or chopping or edging something. This was not a relationship that I had been looking for and decided that I needed to spring for a real edger and a blower; it could eliminate a lot of pain and frustration. Consumers Reports indicated that Black and Decker power edger was just what I needed. I was OK with that since it was red, just like my Troy-Bilt riding mower and my Craftsmen push mower. These things are important you know. I would have really been in a pickle if it were...like...yellow or something that would totally clash with the rest of the equipment. The Blower, a Toro, was black, but by the time I brought it out, all the other toys were put away so it wouldn't be obvious that it was not color coordinated with the rest of the stuff.

I was now 'girlie' edging. My Black and Decker edger with the metal toothed blade did a fine job. There were no plastic strips to play with, no jams, no need to pull the machine apart and re thread anything. Uh, oh, my true feelings are coming out for Mr. Ryobi. All I had to do was place it along the edge to be done, push the button and the machine and bingo. Done. I did have to reconnect yet another machine to the extension cord and play with all of that, but it worked and the job was passable. By the end of the first season, the metal toothed blade was not as sharp as it once was, so the new 2007 season produced edging efforts that were not as crisp as they once were. I found myself trying to edge with Mr. Ryobi. He didn't like the treatment and jammed way more than usual. Then one day in June, before it got REALLY hot, he did something that he never did before. The nut on the plastic thread holder stripped and would not come off. A trip to the store and several questions later left me looking for a new whacker. This time I thought I would just get one. No study, no recommendations, nothing. Get one that seems simple and that seems to work. Whackers are NOT our friends. I found a red Black and Decker electric whacker that had an "automatic feed" no need to tap it to get more line. Humm, I think I may be in love. I also found a new blade for the edger and felt like I had a new lease on life. But the proof, as they say, is in the pudding or in this case the whacking. So we shall see.

It was more clumsy than Mr. Ryobi, but it worked very much better. I could reposition it for whacking and for edging and I could make the handle/rod longer if needed. Yes this is good. Wait, this has way more power than the old one and it seems to have built in guides so you don't destroy your grass. Yes, this is very good. It was a happy day when I trashed Mr. Ryobi (which was Yellow, by the way) and gave the new whacker its rightful place in the garage. Today I actually tried to edge with it, since we have been working together for a few weeks now. It is wonderful! I did have to play with the line once, this was actually the first time since I started using it, so no complaints here. The edging is great, the whacking is great and I am almost glad Mr. Ryobi decided not to play nice a month ago. Otherwise I would still be fighting with him.

This year I have the perfect solution to the worst part of the summer lawn maintenance problem. I have mowed, whacked, edged and blown. It is now perfect, as you can see from the pictures below. Starting next week, I have a service coming in to tend to the lawn until October, when things will be back to normal weather wise and I can enjoy it once again.

So I ask you. Was this a test? And...did I pass? That is really all I need to know.





Here is my reward for a job well done...cool clean water.

1 comment:

Chuck said...

Yes it was a test. The only way to score A+ though is to get a townhouse or condo! Otherwise you are married to your lawn.