Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Day 5...THE DUNES

Today was the day we were waiting for. Hiking up to the top of the dunes. Three days of acclimation and now for the big test.
We started out at 8:45, which was a little later than we planned on, but worked out just fine. We took the trail from our camping area rather than driving to the parking area and walking to the middle of the dune. This approach brought us to the far right side and a ranger told us it might be a bit easier to get to the top from that approach.
Here are the pics from that hike. We actually did make it, I for one was shocked and elated to be able to reach the top There were times when each step took all of my concentration and effort. Each step sinking into the sand and the incline sharp enough to deter anyone. I think the height of about 700 feet translates into about a 70 story building, just to give you an idea of the effort involved.
Enjoy the pictures. Also, if you leave or use your email address, I can reply.

Here we are starting the hike with the sun at our backs.

We are almost there, Chuck had gotten way ahead of me and so decided to get a few shots while waiting for me to catch up.

Here we are really close to the top and I saw another couple with their dog just starting out. They look so small!

Ridge lines and tracks in the sand...

We made it!




We left the Dunes this morning and travelled to Salida. A city about an hour northwest of the Dunes. We will meet up with friends tomorrow in Leadville, Colorado. This is a place with an elevation of about 10,000 feet. This is why we needed to acclimate to the height earlier this week.
In Salida we went downtown to the Arkansas river headwaters and found several people testing their kayak skills...it was fun to watch and it also screamed to me how little experience I really have when it comes to kayaking!
Hey I also got new shoes!



No comments: