Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Friday, August 24, 2007

Day 4...GSDNP&P

Last night it rained. Not a lot, but the thunder and lightening sure had me convinced that we would be heading to the van any moment. The good news is, the tent kept us warm and dry.

We made bagels with jelly for breakfast along with apples and coffee and orange juice. It was enough to energize us for trying the small nature trail that is a favorite spot here in the valley.

While we were walking the nature trail, we thought we would try the Mosca Pass trail. This is a 7.5 mile trail up to a mountain pass. It follows a stream for a good portion of the hike and then you find yourself walking through high grassy plains and then at the end, is another dirt road up to a cell tower. We managed to do it all. So I think we have acclimated to the height. At the highest point we were about 9,800 feet, so I guess we are getting the hang of this. We wound up doing about 9 miles altogether.
What follows are shots taken from the hike on the Mosca Pass Trail.








On the way back my boots blew out. My left shoe heel became loose all the way up to the beginning of the sole. It was flapping like I had flip-flops on. I was very concerned since, going downhill with gravel I could easily lose traction and end up who knows where. I took the strap off of my tie-on hat and criss-crossed it in two places on the outside of the boot, just to make sure it did not go any further. Fortunately, it worked. When I got back to the camp I looked at the other shoe and it was falling apart too. Guess I have to spring for new hiking boots.
R.I.P. you old boots, after 22 years you deserve to retire.

Today we made dinner at the camp site. It was my first dehydrated meal (spaghetti and meat sauce), and truth be told...it was pretty good. We also had some Caesar salad. The local grocery store had a package with all the fixin's lettuce, bacon, dried tomato, croutons and dressing. Delicious!


We might have to work on the 'plating" a little though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Ellen,

Just checking in. It looks likes like you're having a wonderful time. KC is doing well, but, still gets his moments where he is very lonely. He misses you, I can tell.

I did manage to get him to drink water with a teenie bit of multi-vitamin. The majority of his little quills are gone.

He seems to simply be waiting patiently for the day when I take him home to his mommy.

I hope the rest your trip goes well. If you need to contact me I left my deviantart website. My e-mail address should be at the top of the page. :3