Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Thursday, November 8, 2007

North Branch of the Chicago River Trail

What a surprise we had when we arrived at the parking lot to this new-for-me trail and found the ENTIRE TRAIL had been recently blacktopped. So we did almost 20 miles and I hardly felt it! What a smooth and easy day today!
Here Chuck is showing the next section that we will bike and where we area as we look at the map.
Then for a little something extra we rode over to the Chicago Botanic Garden and had a quick bite and strolled several of the many manicured sections.

There are still some glorious fall colors to be had, but you have to catch them as they appear.
After our lunch at the Chicago Botanic Garden,, we strolled around. Here is a wonderful water falls from a lake that was built up on top of the hill, then abundantly filled in with trees and many kinds of flowers.
We were on our way down from the falls and one tree just stood out among all the rest and there were some pretty purple flowers as well.
There is a Japanese Stroll Garden and here we found a gate and a small statue-like object.
On to the prairie section and I couldn't pass up a shot of these grasses, I just love this stuff! Chuck didn't seem to mind yet another picture.
More and different grass... double-click to see it up close and personal.

Oh...No....it's only November 8 and they are decorating for Christmas! I saw several scenes like this, so thought I would include it in my post. I was walking back from the prairie grasses exhibit and I saw this from the walking trail. It just fascinated me...hard to believe that it is a tree stump. It could have been a deeply veined rock or even a frog or other reptile...but on closer examination, it was a tree stump...neat!

No comments: