Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Sunday, July 12, 2009

New Adventure

You've heard the expression that today is the first day of the rest of your life, I'm sure; for me it will be a first. Today I am venturing off for my first backpacking trip. Now a 'normal person' would try it for the first time in a local area, where, if things didn't work out, it would be easy enough to just get to the car and go home. That is not me. Although truth be told, that is the way I tried camping for the first time.

No, we are heading off to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Upper Michigan...the island, which is 12 miles or so offshore, for our backpacking experience.

I tried the pack last night...it was about 37 pounds (which is more than the suggested 25% of you body weight) and it didn't seem as heavy as I expected. Of course, walk around with that for a couple of hours and I will likely be singing a whole 'nuther tune.

Suffice to say, I will be out of touch electronically. So come back in a week or so and I will let you know how it went. Just to add a little intrigue to the trip I am dealing with a couple of medical issues. What is life, if not exciting?

No comments: