Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Friday, January 9, 2009

The Harvest Basket

You know a lot of gardening is imagination. Yep, it starts about this time of year...the garden supply companies send you those glorious catalogues...with pictures of healthy plants, flowers, vegetables and of course, the creme de la creme of garden gadgets. Gadgets in this sense can run anywhere from fancy signposts for each veggie, to whimsical garden statuary and then on to the more functional items. Those would be things that you actually NEED, but presented in such a way as to make it decadent to own it. The harvest basket is such an item...


Use these handy, functional baskets to gather garden vegetables. Galvanized wire mesh design allows you to wash and drain vegetables directly in the baskets. Comfortable wooden carry handles.

Dimensions: 18-1/2" long x 10-1/2" wide x 6-1/4" high

Made in Germany


First, you see it is imported. I actually thought it came from France (I am SURE MINE did!) but other countries make them as well. It is well made, over-priced and a joy to look at and use. While the one pictured here from the Peddler's Wagon is decorated with veggies...I always envisioned mine half full of freshly cut gorgeous flowers or perhaps herbs.

I've owned mine for at least 10 years now. AND I have actually used it for harvesting...not flowers or herbs but veggies. Lots of them, tomatoes, eggplant and peppers. MAN, oftentimes the basket was not large enough for my needs. But I digress.

Imagination...dreams starting as little glimmers and then fed slowly and nurtured until they have legs enough to take off on their own. That's what gardening is.

I am back in Fayetteville now after having been away for an extended period. Now is the dead season. The grass is brown, the trees are leafless and flowers, fruits, veggies and most herbs are but a distant memory. The slate is clean and ready for a new dream. Sort of.

I look at my canvas and I actually see some GREEN. Yes, right here in the middle of January...green and lots of it!


Drats! It is a new crop of weeds throughout my lawn that needs tending to. So I grab my basket, my weed removing tool

(This is the best one ever...and likely not to be found in ANY store, it is over 35 years old and still functioning like a champ) and my basket.




Seems a terrible thing to do to my fantasy.

No comments: