- Bingo is the name of the dog on the side of the Cracker Jack box
- A dog's nose print is as unique as a human's fingerprint and can be used for identification
- Dogs have 321 bones and 42 permanent teeth
- a dog has around 220m million scent receptors in its nose while a human has only about 5 million
- Dogs yawn to calm themselves and others. And a dog owner can calm a stressed dog by yawning in an exaggerated manner...the dog will immediately take note
- Dogs' only sweat glands are between their paw pads
- Normal dogs can learn new things at any age, up until the time when their mental capacities begin to decline in old age
- Dogs are omnivores, which means they'll eat plant matter as well as meat. Eating grass is normal dog behavior; a dog may eat grass when it has a stomachache, but sometimes it does so for the sheer pleasure of eating.
- The Glen of Imaal Terrier is the rarest of the world's domesticated dog breeds, with only 500-600 registered in the US and about 35 in the UK.
- The world's rarest wild canine is the Ethiopian wolf, which has been threatened with extinction because of large rabies outbreaks in 1993 and 2003. There are an estimated 500 Ethiopian wolves remaining in the isolated highlands of Ethiopia.
- The Guiness Book of World Records lists a 6 inch long Chihuahua named Heaven Sent Brandy as the world's smallest dog. The timy dog lives in Largo, Fla.
- Bloodhound Tigger has the world's largest dog ears, with the right one measuring 13 1/4 inches and the left one 13 1/2 inches. Tigger lives in St. Joseph, Ill.
Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on. Colette
The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's. Mark Twain
If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience. Woodrow Wilson
I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts. John Steinbeck
Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend, and inside of a dog, its too dark to read. Groucho Marx
Sniglets are words that aren't in the dictionary, but should be
Alponium - a gaseous material identified by the initial blast of odor upon opening a can of dog food.
Furbula - The designated chewing place on a dog's back.
Rovalerts - The system whereby one dog can quickly establish an entire neighborhood network of barking