Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Saturday, March 1, 2008

Canning Strawberry Jam

Our final day of the Elderhostel Program allowed for a choice of options including: Home Canning,, Pine Needle Baskets, Flint Knapping, Blacksmithing, and Quilting. I opted for Home Canning; it is probably a throw back to the time I spent with my 'gram-maw' in Missouri. Anyway, it was great because there were only 3 students, which gave us a lot of hands on and one-on-one instruction.



I enjoyed the process and came away with a desire to try it myself at home...watch out everybody!



Our instructor was Ethel McDonald and not only did she teach us about jam making but she shared with us many folk stories about the area and her past. Don't know which I enjoyed more the stories or the jam. She had a story for every step of the process and it made me sorry that I couldn't get it on video tape.



Anyway, below are some of the pictures I took during the process which was no where near as hard as I thought it would be!






No comments: