Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Other Eye

I got the other eye done on January 4th. So now I have all the cataracts removed and am on the way to recovery. It seems that I know lots of folks, who know lots of folks who had this done. They all said "it's nothing, really." So I was expecting it to be, well, nothing.

The vision is no where near what I expected it to be. I suppose those folks who had it done, live with someone who can drive them around and that certainly makes it more like nothing. Since I do all my own driving, it has been a bit more than a challenge. Don't get me wrong, I can see really good for about three feet or so. But I cannot read the titles of the programs on TV from my chair...I would need to get up and stand closer and read it. That is not a problem for me. It is a problem when I am trying to drive and a pedestrian appears to be a blurry mass that could be a tree or a trash can or a person. So I have been driving only when necessary and only during the off hours of the day. I am happy to report no mishaps.


So if you want my opinion, this surgery is more than nothing. You really don't see well for better than a month. If you need to drive every day, that is a problem. I am delighted that I can read without glasses for the first time in a very long time! Weird, huh?

I will be very happy to get my distance vision back again too. It has gotten better. During the day I can see pretty well; it is just at night that things get eerie.

So for now I am becoming a becoming a bookworm. The library is furnishing me with lots of the latest titles every other week.

Where Good Ideas Come From by Steven Johnson is pretty good and interesting on how the brain connects to various ideas and presents unique solutions in the process.

I just finished The World According to Monsanto...THAT is a scary book! The stuff that happens to our food, soil and air is very sad.

Part of this reading marathon was also The Secret Gift by Ted Gup a fabulous true story of a man who chose an odd way to help folks during the depths of the depression.

Next up: Let's take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell and

The Wave by Susan Casey about rogue waves in the ocean; I probably selected this because for a long time I had dreams about REALLY huge waves with varying conclusions. I haven't had one of those in quiet a few years now, so the book may fill that gap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just wondering about your "other eye" yesterday. Glad that it is over for you and hope your vision improves quickly :)