Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Patterning . . A Writing Technique

According to a book entitled "Writing for Self-Discovery" by Schneidler and Killick, patterning is making a list in which you repeat the same form of words to introduce each item. The repetition helps release ideas and feelings and it is a chance to play with words. One is supposed to write quickly without thinking too much and enjoy experimenting. So here's my first patterning exercise:

Today I am trying a new recipe
Today I am enjoying a barbershop quartet concert
Today I am trying a new writing technique
Today I am actually writing with pen and paper
Today I am excited about the future
Today I am fearful of the future
Today I am working toward positive things
Today I am happy with my pet bird
Today I am not able to ride my bike because of SNOW
Today I am taking care of me
Today I am taking care of you
Today I am worried about my aunt
Today I am happy in the moment
Today I am here
Today I am

So, what do you think?

I can tell, if I did this exercise when I was even slightly depressed or sad it would have a lot more emotion in it; but it would have been very cleansing to write under those circumstances.

No comments: