Whalechaser's Musings

No Matter Where You Go...
There You Are
Make the Best of It

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I'm Smitten

For those of you who have been following for a while, your probably know I am a bit of a foodie. When I saw the movie last year: Julie and Julia, it was becoming more and more clear that I was probably more attached to food than is normal. (It is very hard for me to justify these feelings when I do ANY Buddhist reading) that said...

I just finished reading My Life in France by Alex Prod'homme (a distant cousin to Julia) and am totally awash in recipes and cooking ideas. I received the first volume of Julia's Mastering the Art of French Cooking for Christmas; I was respectfully scared and intimidated. The best I could do at that time was scan through the book and imagine that one day I might attempt something in it. Now that I have finished My life in, I feel I can page through Mastering a bit more slowly.

Well this may come as a shock but I spent a good hour looking at the recipes in the chapter titled: Eggs

Yes it IS possible to spend an hour thinking about cooking eggs. While I consider my current egg-cookery to be pretty good, the techniques she offers should just push those talents over the top. I am looking forward to trying and reporting on my efforts at (of all things) scrambled eggs. The French do it a bit differently and I can just imagine that the taste will be very much be
better than the already good ones that I currently make. Stay tuned and one day soon I will let you know how I made out.

If the scrambled eggs come out OK, then I will move on to the very intimidating: Omelet!

Oh, I suppose I should tell you that I was scanning the availability of things at Netflix and OF COURSE, the early 60's PBS show of Julia cooking IS there! I can hardly wait!

No comments: